E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Broken audio inputs/outputs on Emax I just bought on eBay?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:56:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Broken audio inputs/outputs on Emax I just bought on eBay?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Broken audio inputs/outputs on Emax I just bought on eBay?  (Read 3342 times)
Bix

« on: November 05, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »

There's no sound coming out of anything and the VU meter doesn't move when I try to sample.  I do hear a quick beep in my headphones when I turn it off, though.  It worked fine when the eBay seller bought it at a swap meet.  Any suggestions?  Could some connections have been damaged in shipping?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:02:56 PM by Bix » Logged
alphabyte

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »

There are a number of things that could be wrong I suspect. However, the first place to look would be the ribbon cable that connects the logic board to the analog board. If the unit was taken apart, the cable may have not been reconnected or connected properly. Given all aspects of the analog side are not working, that would be the first place I would look.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you find.
Bix

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:10:32 PM »

Ribbon cable seems like it's attached as tight as it can be.  The individual "strands" are separated but all intact individually.

For what it's worth, there's a set of pins on the logic board (CN2 I think) that doesn't have any kind of cable attached to it.S
alphabyte

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »

CN2 is used for SCSI if the unit is SCSI capable; it hould not affect sampling or out put in any way.

Does the removable connection of the ribbon cable to the analog board appear to be connected correctly? Is it possible it is offset by two pins? If you haven't already done so, I would carefully detach the cable from CN1 on the analog board and then again, carefully, re-attach the cable.

Also, check to ensure all socketed ICs are properly seated. Specifically, check IC39 and IC49 located near the sample input.

I am not a tech, so, I can't give you much useful advise beyond very basic signal flow suggestions. I do have detailed documentation, so I can try to help if you have specific questions to aid in troubleshooting.

Best of luck!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Broken audio inputs/outputs on Emax I just bought on eBay?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines