E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Internal HD not recognized after cleanup

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:05:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Internal HD not recognized after cleanup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Internal HD not recognized after cleanup  (Read 8894 times)
vegas

« on: November 18, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »

Hi again,

Last night I decided to remove my cards, and clean all contacts with deoxit d5 contact spray cleaner. In hopes that this would end my problems of general fuckness from my machine.

I cleaned the cards/contacts, removed and cleaned the contacts on the NCR5380 chip from the processor board, removed the memory simms and cleaned the contacts. cleaned all wiring connections, checked power supply, calibrated it as discussed in previous posts (cleaning of the trim pot, bring voltage to 5.05v etc.).

Now, the e3 loads only from floppy and not from the internal HD.  It doesnt recognize the internal HD.  I tried mounting drives, unplugging cable to HD, trying to change scsi id (but no internal drive to change scsi id to)
I now about saving a bank before doing anything (bug fix) but how can you do this if the internal drive is not being recognized?

I've read through the forums hundreds of times and have even had this problem before.-I cant really remember what I did exactly that solved it-ghost in the machine

potscrubber

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »

Hmmm. Usually if no hard drive at all E3 won't even start from floppy (can anyone confirm this).

Did you reformat the drive? If not then saving empty bank is not relevant.

Have you got another HD you can try? Kepp futzing around with the drive.  Double check the cables.  Don't lose hope you're nearly there.

pot.
vegas

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »

No i  did not reformat the drive.-ive swapped drives out and still nothing-though Im not sure if the other drive is compatible.

I managed to format a floppy disk, and save sounds on it-though I can't access parameters-truncate/loop etc without putting in the o/s disk
vegas

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »

bump
help

Ive lost about 2-3 jumpers in my mcahine now trying to get other drives to work.
I think im going to throw this machine off the cn tower now
vegas

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:34 AM »

so i tried another hard drive.
a quantum empire 1080.
get a blank screen on the e3
help anyone??
lubb

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »

what was the SCSI ID of the internal HD (before the cleanup..?)

what do you mean with: "Ive lost about 2-3 jumpers in my mcahine"? from the current HD..? or from that previous one..?

does your machine boot from floppy presently..?
vegas

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »

i cant remember what the internal scsi was.  But it can be changed so i bleieve its on 1 now.  Ive tried all other channels to avoid conflict-
i can boot with floppy, and access all functions with floppy but there is no recognition of any drives.
the jumpers were from trying to change scsi id's on different drives.
I think maybe i need to try yet another proven working scsi drive
midipuppies

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »

I still think that the issue here is as simple as finding a compatible/working drive. When I was going through a bunch of drives to use in one of mine, it took like 15-20 different drives for it to like one. Even though they worked in Emax 1000's and Emax II's, EIIIXP etc.
I started to second guess myself quite easily. That's when I decided to go with the flash solution, but that's a whole other story......

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
lubb

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:11:31 AM »

but if the drive worked before the cleanup, then it is compatible; there still might be something wrong with the connections: either power supply, or internal SCSI ribbon cable. of course, SCSI IDs of the internal drive and the EIII itself must be different.
vegas

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:11 AM »

ive tried about 4-5 drives and no show yet.
I thought that the latest drive a quantum pro drive 500mb would work but not yet

The e3 channel is at 0
the internal drives im trying to keep them at 1, though ive tried different channels yet no success.
what about the floppy drive? is that set to a channel?
Ive tried swapping out cable but still same-

id like to try the cf card solution but am reluctant to as this unit has not proven itself worthy as of yet.

I can operate off the floppy drive
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:12:56 AM by vegas » Logged
lubb

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »

Quantum Pro Drive 500mb should be compatible.

Check once again the connections, both the power supply and the internal ribbon SCSI cable.

Power up, set the SCSI ID of the EIII to ID#6 (Master, 7 Disk Utilities, 0 Change SCSI ID).

Try Mount drive function.

vegas

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »

yeah i think so too.
The only thing is that im not sure how to verify if it is terminated as there are no jumpers for the termination only 'resistor packs' i'll have to try again.
will report back again tomorrw.
thanks and pray for me
vegas

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 08:35:34 AM »

tried the pro drive again with the e3 internal set to 6 and the prodrive at 1. no dice
added the zip drive to it at ID 5 and again no dice.

the internal drive is not recognized-I guess I'll keep accumulating drives and trying them
I can use the floppy but when i try and truncate it says no scsi hardware installed so its not really a viable option
vegas

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 07:10:38 AM »

I got it working!!

turns out the ncr 5380 chip was not sitting right.
Shogun

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

Hi,
I have a similar problem of the internal drive not being recognised. Where is the NCR 5380 chip located so I can check mine?

thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Internal HD not recognized after cleanup

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines