E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Audio Interfaces.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:01:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Audio Interfaces.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Audio Interfaces.  (Read 5704 times)
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« on: December 15, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »

Does anyone know if an Edirol UA-25ex is powered enough to be able to record directly from my Emax/EII? Been looking at some audio interfaces (for use with Macbook and Logic) and a lot of it is jargon to me. This one seems to have good reviews, and is fairly cheap. I have about £130 to play with, and I've been told to stay well clear of M-audio.

All I need is a couple of inputs that are powered enough to record from the 2 synths internal audio into Logic, and one midi, all in one unit.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:50 AM »

Anyone? Dunno who else to ask.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:01:59 AM »

Anything, but no E-MU interface (that's what I can contribute here...)
seamonkey
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 07:50:54 AM »

that's funny, because I was going to recommend the Emu 1212m, although I'm not sure if it's laptop installable or not, because you have to install the soundcard.
I had a 1616m for awhile and I didn't have any problems other than a learning curve, plus it sounded fantastic, and had some great effects with it.

I only sold it because a)I needed some cash b)I bought a Tascam 388 Studio 8 analog tape deck. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:57:04 AM by seamonkey » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

I have the 0404 USB and ALL pots have been scratching really bad after some DAYS of use...
 Angry
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »

I was confused, because with a guitar for instance, you need a pre-amp to make the level high enough to record at decent quality, and I don't know if a synth needs this too? I just want something all in one unit. Googling just brings up people who want to use their synths as a midi controller with Logic, not recording the actual audio from the synth. I've been told all sorts of stuff, like a separate amp, mixer... I just want one box that'll give me decent recording of audio!
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »

I was confused, because with a guitar for instance, you need a pre-amp to make the level high enough to record at decent quality, and I don't know if a synth needs this too? I just want something all in one unit. Googling just brings up people who want to use their synths as a midi controller with Logic, not recording the actual audio from the synth. I've been told all sorts of stuff, like a separate amp, mixer... I just want one box that'll give me decent recording of audio!

Usually you do not need pre-amplification for a synth, because it should have line level output (other than an electric guitar or a microphone).
Most of today's audio interfaces feature both, line level input AND pre-amplified input by using implemented pre-amplifiers.
So pretty any audio interface should work for your purposes.

BUT - if you have a mixer to call your own - use it. Run your E-Mu through it (and through outboard equipment if you have). This can't hurt and adds character to the recording anyway.

Greetz,
Elm.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »

Cheers mate, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
ditabeardmemo

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »

I swear by Apogee converters, but they are not cheap and they don't contain many of the bells and whistles that other converters do (like preamps, phantom power, headphone monitoring, etc.) That said, I am able to hear the difference in a blind test between Apogee conversion and less expensive units (like M-Audio and MOTU, for example), so I believe you get what you pay for with AD/DA conversion. Good conversion costs a minimum of $2,000 USD for eight channels of in/out.

As far as what you can afford and what you need, I would recommend something with built-in preamps, even if they aren't of the best quality. I've found that +4 dBu line level - which is a standard dating back to the analog days - often does not provide sufficient level for digital mediums.

And as Elm said, an external mixer (like a small Mackie) will allow you to boost the signal enough to use up bits in your DAW.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:33:31 PM by ditabeardmemo » Logged

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »

Ah, so now I'm confused again... the Edirol is no good then? Can you actually link me to a product that's under the £150 mark that does what I need?
ditabeardmemo

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »

The Edirol definitely does what you need: It has built-in preamplifiers that you can use to increase the signal of a line level instrument, like your Emulator or Emax.

My point was that there won't be a big difference in quality between Edirol and M-Audio.

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Audio Interfaces.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines