E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII won't start up? A possible solution.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:51:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EIII won't start up? A possible solution.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIII won't start up? A possible solution.  (Read 8711 times)
dvdborn
Administrator

« on: February 21, 2008, 06:48:23 AM »

If one formats and install a disk in an EIII, or just maybe a system install, the disk will go round and round, scanning the channels without being able to boot.

Its a bug.

When you format and install a system, once you have finished and BEFORE restarting the EIII, just save a bank, even a blank bank, it has no importance, the idea is to have AT LEAST on bank, even empty, into the directory, or the machine will never start when you power it up again.

By following these instructions, the machine will find an empty bank, start on it, and here we go !

Thanks to Dr.C (http://mapage.noos.fr/g.cerdan/)for providing this info.
vegas

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »

when i try to save a bank to my o/s floppy it ends up erasing the os software. 
midipuppies

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:39:41 AM »

You got an internal HD in there?

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
vegas

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »

yes there is one physical hard drive in there but I can't verify that it works.
so..Ive also put in a blank/formatted  floppy and saved a bank to it but than it requires o/s-so i guess the internal HD is not working.
so to clarify- when saving the all important bank to disk upon loading from floppy -this actually refers to saving a bank to the internal HD and not to the system floppy? is that correct?
I can't do this because I can't get my internal hardrive to work/recognize
Im going to try this all again and than perhaps try putting in my macintosh classic HD. Does anyone know if that will work?
Probably I'm going to look into this power supply calibration before than.
also i'll probably replace that cut cable
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »

I can't believe it ...

Its on the hard disk, you must save a bank !
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:07:18 PM »

DON'T TOUCH THIS F.... POWER SUPPLY !!

After then, people tell I am rude, I swear, I'm an as....ole (for this, they are right),
but WHY people always want to mess around ?
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Grin
vegas

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

HI again,

What do you mean don't touch this power supply? Weren't you the one who set out detailed instructions on calibrating the power supply?
When I tried to calibrate my power supply via your post I got a reading of 2.8v on the trim pot as opposed to the 5.05 recommended.  I also adjusted it lower to where the HD wont spin up and even a bit higher but not 5.05.-right now its at the original setting (about half on trim pot) and thats reading 2.8v -I'm afraid to boost it all the way in hopes of reaching 5.05. I don't understand how to "disconnect everything but the HD and fans" when recalibrating power supply

I've also tried replacing internal HD-tried quantum fireball-doesnt work at all no display
tried a 40 mb HD from a mac classic and it reads not an e3 drive.

I boot from my floppy and can sample but when I digital process (say truncate) it says scsi HD error and hence my reason for trying to recalibrate the power supply

So right now it seems that the internal HD is not being recognized/I tried reformatting it but get the scsi hardware error

cheers
t
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »

"of 2.8v on the trim pot "   I NEVER SAID THIS !!!!!!!  I KNEW IT !!!!!

"disconnect everything but the HD and fans"  I NEVER WROTE THIS, THIS IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS !!!!!

WHY DON'T YOU GO TO A SERVICE DEPARTMENT ?
Nylon

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:10 AM »

Hi,
I've got a EIII keyboard, and sometimes it didn't start up, the display was empty, some led lit on the front panel, but no boot at all.
I've removed all the circuit boards and cleaned up all the contacts connectors, and then it worked again.
After some month of inactivity I started it up but there was the same problem, it didn't boot, no words on display... Sad
I've removed the top circuit boards, in particular the memory board and C51 capacitor is seriously damaged (burst), also the IC71 (74ALS374N) seems a bit dirty near the capacitor...
I have no schematic or service manual, so I don't know how to ckeck that board, can anybody help me? How much is the capacitor (100 nF ?) how can I check if the IC71 is still working?
Thanks!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »

VERY CAREFULLY cut the capacitor leads. Clean the pcb with a SOFT brush and PCB cleaner.

DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT to desolder the capacitor pins and to replace it. JUST FORGET IT ! Its a decoupling capacitor, tehhjere a a alot of them everywhere.

WHY DO I TELL THIS ?

Just because, due to the current surge (the capacitor got shorted), the PCB is certainly damaged and maybe shorted between internal layers if you try to pout a capacitor pin there. Please, just trust me, ok ?

Put the board back in place and try. Let me know how it goes.
Zomnius

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »

and how did this end?

thx. Zom
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII won't start up? A possible solution.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines