E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Need help troubleshooting emax II rack - internal HD issue or power supply??

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:07:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Need help troubleshooting emax II rack - internal HD issue or power supply??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting emax II rack - internal HD issue or power supply??  (Read 9903 times)
lubb

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »

yes, the internal HD must be properly terminated.

what is the model designation of that old Seagate drive? I will try to search a documentation for it and tell you the correct settings (SCSI ID and termination jumpers).

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:39:54 AM by lubb » Logged
mooncat

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »

Hi- it's a seagate model ST39140N.
There's a diagram on the driving showing a 'J6'
Block of 6 pins in 2 rows which I guess is where the
Termination jumper goes? Anyway when I have the
Drive in the emax it doesn't see the drive at any of the
Selected scsi addresses that I input from the emax in the select
Drive menu.  Thanks! Floppy is scsi 0.
lubb

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »

Hi,

I do not think the ST39140N is suitable drive for an Emax II, because the maximum size the Emax II will format is around 500 MB, and the ST39140N has 9.1 GB... (consult the list of recommended and tested drives:

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives/Samplers/Emax2Overview/Emax2Drives/emax2drives.html

anyway, the configuration should be as follows:

jumpers J6 (drive front): for SCSI ID 1 - jumper A0 in place
jumpers J2 (drive bottom): terminator enable - jumper TE in place
                  receive power from drive - jumper TP2 in place

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:38:48 AM by lubb » Logged
FmK@77

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »

You do need a disk drive to boot. Otherwise it will search for ever. You have to tell Emax which drive to boot from. Master, 5 (menu) will help you format the HD.

Well it's a gamble with a 9.1GB HD. It is to big but I know it was possible to downgrade the HD (can't remember how). I thought this was done through computer bios (something with LBA).

Good Luck,
Frank
Chevytraveller

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

If it came out of an old Mac then it is probably defaulting to SCSI ID 0 and so won't be seen.
Google the drive model number and the should give you an indication of which pins need to be jumpered for which SCSI Ids (0-7)
They are always grouped as 6 pins  (2 rows of 3) and each pair will give you IDs 1, 2 and 4 respectively with the other IDs  reached by using combinations of pairs

Grin

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, Logic X, U-He Diva, Camel Alchemy,
Hard: MPC1K, Emax I, Emax II, Emulator II, E-Synth, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-SK, AS Vostok, Oberheim TVS-1, Roland Promars,
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »

Unplug everything and starup. Any change ?

Invert the polarity of the mains (phase-neutral). Any change ?

I had this once : would work at my lab, but not at the cleints premisces.

It was the outlet, the ground was lousy, and when I inverted the polarity with an adapter, it came back to life.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Need help troubleshooting emax II rack - internal HD issue or power supply??

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines