E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hard disk error 48

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:40:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Hard disk error 48
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hard disk error 48  (Read 9139 times)
sneakyalien

« on: May 21, 2009, 12:55:31 PM »

Hi All,I have been having problems getting my emu II+ to boot and so as a last ditch attempt I stripped the floppy drive and all cables cleaned connections and put it all back together I also unplugged nearly every chip and reseated it.
I switched on with a 3.1 hd floppy OS 3.1 disk in and f#ck me the thing booted ok.
I pressed all the buttons on the front panel and they all worked,I pressed the disk button and selected 2 for hard disk and I got a message of 2nd disk not available.
I rebooted and prest special button and went through the menus and did a scsi test I left it running for a few seconds and when I pressed enter to stop the screen changed to loop and errors there were 170 loops and 170 errors.
I then selected format hardrive from the select menu and got a message of HD 48 error.

Is my hard drive screwed or is it the scsi that is broken or both??

Any ideas anyone of what I need to do to fully test the emu?

Thanks,
Steve.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »

As a first guess, I would say that your disk is voodooed. Can you format another disk there ?

sneakyalien

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »

Hi Dr.c,no I cannot format the hard drive at all just keep getting hd error 48.
I now have no problems booting this machine from floppy and can format floppy drives and save to them so it has gone from a system that would not boot to something that at least works,just the hard drive I suspect is totally gone,although I do hear the hard drive spin up to speed during boot time and it grunts 3 times and then stops.

Here is a comprehensive list of what I have done from the front panel after pressing the cataloge special functions button:-

1)selected 20 HD tests
pressed 1 for test SCSI- a message of 'testing SCSI/RAM press enter to stop' was output.
after about 15 seconds i pressed enter to stop the test and the folloowing was output :-

LOOPS=00360
ERRS=00360

2) selected 20 HD tests
pressed 2 for Media which then asked 'log errors on floppy y/n' i selected y.
A message of 'read scan YES write/read NO'-I selected yes and the following was output 'Read scan-->001 errors-->000' -the screen just stayed like that and no attempt was made by the system to read the hard drive.

3)I selected 22 format hard dsk-got message of 'destroys all!y/n-i selected y for yes
got message of 'insert error log+hd software floppy.'
I placed os 3.1 hard disk floppy in floppy drive then pressed enter- get hd error 48 output.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Steve.
sneakyalien

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »

Just want to add to the above,the floppy drive is a bit temperamental every now and then I have to take the lid off and jiggle the read/write mechanism on the floppy drive before it will attempt to read a disk-it normally does this if i put a disk in that has become corrupt so i guess mt floppy drive is on its way to the grave yard.

Anyone know where I may find a replacement floppydrive?Or does anyone have a spare one in their collection of spare floppies they would sell to me?

Also if my hard drive is dead can i just remove it and connect a 3.5 inch disk from route 66 in its place and use the molex connector that supplied power to the hard drive to power the 3.5 inch disk.

Thanks,
Steve.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:39:56 AM »

I didn't write "format the disk", I wrote "ANOTHER" disk, wich is a quite different issue...
sneakyalien

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »

Hi,No I don't have another spare hard drive to format.
I am quite happy without the hard drive really but would like a 3.5 inch drive in its place.
Thanks,Steve.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »

Hope you will find it !

Cheers
sneakyalien

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 12:44:44 PM »

Hi,found one from route 66- 3.5 inch disk for about 45 pounds.
I prefer the emu without the hard drive as there is now no noise coming from it ,the noise of the hard drive used to bug me in my studio anyway.
Thanks everyone who contributed to my posts regarding my broken emu-its now a working beast once more.

Its been a year since I played with the emu as it has been in a repair shop for that long I totally forgot how much fun the Emu II is.

Peace.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »

A YEAR at repair ?    Shocked
sneakyalien

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »

yeah,it was put at the back of a long line of repairs as the tech guy is really busy but in the end I thought I would get it back and try and bring it back to life.
She is now running fine,just waiting for my replacement drive to arrive and then she will be back in my studio.
I still think the EMU EII is one of the best samplers ever created,its amazing I love it.
Would love a Fairlight to,maybe oneday.
Peace. xxx
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »

I used a Teac floppy i found on a shelf in my shop. i had to jump a few wires on the unit to make it work but it was way cheaper! i can write and read from it as drive 2. i can tell you how to do the mod for any floppy drive.
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »

Hay anyone!
i am working on an emulator 2HD and want to swap the scsi card out. the tests are telling me the ram is bad and the signals i get on them seem quite skewed. i also tried swapping ram but still its failing scsi ram test.
It has an adaptech card in it and i saw the Winchester cards are very similar. i think they used them in the old trs 80 computers.
if anyone knows where i might find one could you let me know.

thansk guys
this forum is awesome.
i learned a lot and offer my help to anyone hear that needs it.
Cheers
Chaz
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

Never  Mind!
Me  and the customer decided he would take it and use it with the floppy alone!
that was not working due to the power supply Molex issue!
Twosocks

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »

I used a Teac floppy i found on a shelf in my shop. i had to jump a few wires on the unit to make it work but it was way cheaper! i can write and read from it as drive 2. i can tell you how to do the mod for any floppy drive.

Could you please tell about this mod.

Regards,

Peter.

Collector of Vintage gear.
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »

Could you please tell about this mod.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter i will link you to a site that has the mode info more detailed then i could tell you..
Hear you go..http://www.pitsch.de/stuff/amiga/floppy.htm#A4
sorry it took so long to reply i have not been on the site in a wile...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hard disk error 48

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines