E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator still won't boot

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:09:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emulator still won't boot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emulator still won't boot  (Read 2772 times)
budney

« on: April 05, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »

I recently started looking at my emulator 2 again, having got a debug eprom. Trying to use the eprom, and surprise surprise it won't work. It loads and says static ram okay, but trying to do any tests, and it would hang. Okay, so there must be a fault somewhere on the main board, decided to go back to basics, the finger test. I discovered that there was a flip flop getting incredibly hot, so hot it burns. The flip flop that controls the RAS and CAS strobes to the RAM, which makes sense, since the memory test could not even access the RAM to give a pass or fail. Replacing that, and horay the debug memory test works! Also the HxC is now deciding to read floppy images, but! It still won't work.

I ran the memory test on the eprom, and it passes all memory until it reaches bank 8, the piggy back memory board. That then immediately fails, it cant access any bank on the piggy back board, so its not just some bad ram, theres a fault with the ram addressing somewhere, could be buffers, could be latches, could be decoders, theres a lot going on with the ram in this machine.

Trying to load an image with the HxC, when it reads the tracks, it skips tracks 3-10, which I think I read somewhere are the tracks that contain the OS. It continues to read tracks all the way up to 78, then it stops. The display shows the patch name, but none of the buttons respond or do anything. Makes sense if its skipping loading the OS. Trying with a real drive and disk and it stops after 3 clicks and gives disk read error, consistent with stopping at track 3 on the HxC

Also, when I run the Disk test, it gives me this error message

CRC: CR1: WT:  WT1: XFR:
0000 807F 0000 0000 4C18

I'm not sure exactly what it means, other than the CRC (cyclic redundancy check) is coming back as failing. So it cannot read the disk properly, or it cannot store the memory on the disk properly. Which also makes sense, as it cannot load the OS. XFR is data transfer error, which I guess makes sense too as it cannot transfer the data on tracks 3-10 to the memory to compare it at the end.

So I'm currently stuck trying to work out, A why the piggyback memory is failing constantly, and B why it won't load the images properly. Possibly the same fault but the OS isn't loaded into the piggyback board, so maybe not. I'd like to point out that this has a new mean well T60 PSU, so I'd like to think that the PSU is not the problem.

Its quite specific, but does anyone have any idea/clue as to how I track down this problem? The whole thing is covered with 74S244 buffers, so most likely one of them down, but I don't have one of those fancy chip testers or a logic analyser, so I feel I may be stuck Sad I really don't want to order loads of chips and start randomly blanket replacing, but I'm not sure what else to do
dfiorucci

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:38:04 PM »

Hi,
Reference my thread EII Won't Boot
The 3 clicks usually means the IC27 is fried.
Check the pitch & mod wheel pots calibration if either is out of tolerance that is probably the culprit.
Thanks,
Dana
PatPend

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »

For 30 bucks you can get a chip tester on eBay that works surprisingly well. You could probably check every logic chip in about an hour.   It's a brute force approach to troubleshooting but think of it as the modern-day equivalent of those old vacuum tube testers at RadioShack.

For example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-LED-Tester-Optocoupler-LM399-DIP-CHIP-TESTER-Model-Number-Detector-Digital/252547748086

Emulator II+HD, OMI CDS3, Prophet 5 rev. 3.3, OB-8, DX-7 E!, LAMM Memorymoog, Behringer Model D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator still won't boot

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines