E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:44:05 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?  (Read 13752 times)
PX-7
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:05 AM »

why stop there?  get those old turd red LED's out of there.

i've seen the blue LED's and blue display on an EII and i was blown away.

that's what i want.   it looks totally tits

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 05:11:24 AM »

Its a beautifull job ! Congratulations !

If you look at the PCB on the panel, near the display, you will see two resistors. They are in series, one point to the +5V, the other to the ground, and the middle point to the display. If you put a small adjustable there at the place of te resistors, one side to the +5, etc... the cursor to the display, you will be able to adjust the contrast. It can be a 10k adkjustable.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »

I've seen that, too.
But I actually like the red LEDs more. As I like the original display colour more than that yellow display.
Well done anyway.

Wish I could do that...  Roll Eyes
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »

why stop there?  get those old turd red LED's out of there.

i've seen the blue LED's and blue display on an EII and i was blown away.

that's what i want.   it looks totally tits

Yup!! - Already bought the LEDs - I will fit them this weekend and will post a picture of the final results.   Smiley

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »

Its a beautifull job ! Congratulations !

If you look at the PCB on the panel, near the display, you will see two resistors. They are in series, one point to the +5V, the other to the ground, and the middle point to the display. If you put a small adjustable there at the place of te resistors, one side to the +5, etc... the cursor to the display, you will be able to adjust the contrast. It can be a 10k adkjustable.

Many thanks - I did wonder about an adjustable contrast but after running it for a couple of hours it really doesn't need it as the contrast seems to be stable and quite nicely setup as is.

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

"If it works, don't fix it !"
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »

"If it works, don't fix it !"

Hmmm I wouldn't always agree with that one - if I hadn't bothered to open my EII up I wouldn't have noticed the memory card half hanging out of it's socket, the burnt up 5V power connection, several screws just about to unwind and fall on the pcbs and the ominous bulging power supply caps!   The point is my EII works and I want to keep it working for many years   Smiley

HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »

I've seen that, too.
But I actually like the red LEDs more. As I like the original display colour more than that yellow display.
Well done anyway.

Wish I could do that...  Roll Eyes

Yes I must admit I do prefer the modern blue glass FTSN displays but the yellow one was kicking around in the attic - the cool blue display I fitted to both my TG and SY77 is awesome compaired to the old EL backlit one.  This is really a problem for me - I am lucky enough to own a ton of music gear BUT so much of it has older EL backlights which have failed one by one over the years - I've grown tired of replacing them and so one by one I'm finding modern LED backlit replacements for them.  The next on the list is my Wavestation A/D for which I've found a suitable LED equivalent - I just need to get round to fitting it.

The modern displays are SO much easier to read than the old EL ones - you can now read my TG77 display on the other side of the studio!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:30:46 PM by HideawayStudio » Logged

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 02:18:57 AM »

cool!
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »

I fitted a full set of blue LEDs to go with the new LCD and it looks rather nice - as ever the pics don't really do it much justice  Smiley

It was not without it's surprises though... having put everything back together I discovered to my horror that there was no signal showing on the sample input/VU meter - I took the lid off and found the audio was going all the way back to the analog board as it should.  After taking the lid off for a second time I'd completely forgotten the unit was still plugged in and got 240 volt belt off the metal ring on the back of the rear panel fuse!! - Ouch!

It turned out that my EII was being a typical one - one of the chips wasn't properly seated in it's socket - I swear E-mu made EII more unreliable by making it so easy to service - all those socketed chips are a nightmare!!

* DansEII_NewLCD_BlueLEDs.JPG (193.84 KB, 1136x795 - viewed 627 times.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:49:04 AM by HideawayStudio » Logged

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:46 AM »

cool!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines