E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII + Mac SD communication problem

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:45:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EII + Mac SD communication problem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: EII + Mac SD communication problem  (Read 16281 times)
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »

Further steps I am going to do:
EII Nr.1 - replace communication chips 1488 and 1489, IC108 and IC132 + 4070N, IC131. (I´ve just got the first two,

THIS is absolutely perfect ! If you have (or someone else) has the wiring of the connector, I can draw you the diagram of a little adapter with LEDs wich will lit everytime there is a communication !
It will be absolutely harmless, and very usefull !

the third one will come from the EII Nr.2)

NOOOOO !!!! Please, do niot mess around with chips, for heaven's sake ! You will only get TWO non working machines !!!!

EII Nr.2 - checking the connections between main CPU an PIO chips

Take care of one machine at the time, get the connection diagram, I will check everything and send here the diagrame for the LED probe.
One step after each other, take your taime, you cannot afford to hurry and mess around !

As well : I am sorry if I seem a bit "directive" and even sometimes coleric, but I love my job and I just had an EIII wich has been completely ruined by its owner, telling me "I tought I could do this !"
I told him : "No one ask you to "think", stop "thinking".

In two words, I told him to SHUT his machine IMMEDIATELY, to bring it over, there was a screw hanging aroung. He shaked it and put the power on. Idiot...

I'm not a bad guy ...        Wink
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »

about 1 year ago some voices missed, later can not boot from the disk (no tac, tac, tac at the beginning)

Sometimes, as well, it will display "This will take a while" and sits there for years.

This is TYPICAL of a power supply connector problem. Look at the molex connector distributing power to the boards, you will see that the connector will be brown on the yellow wires (+5V)

Take the power supply away, take off the old crackeled and cooked solder of the Molex connector, resolder, clean the female connector (the one with the wires), put everything back,  eight chances over ten that it will work.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 08:35:58 AM »

By the way: A good idea may also be to reseat ALL ICs of the machine. I also had dead voices and other trouble - after I reseated all ICs, everything worked again.

Yes, this is perfectly correct, especially with the S352 chips. Gee... its 25 years ago and I still remember that shit... Grin
xmota

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »

Further steps I am going to do:
EII Nr.1 - replace communication chips 1488 and 1489, IC108 and IC132 + 4070N, IC131. (I´ve just got the first two,

THIS is absolutely perfect ! If you have (or someone else) has the wiring of the connector, I can draw you the diagram of a little adapter with LEDs wich will lit everytime there is a communication !
It will be absolutely harmless, and very usefull !

This will be excellent. Is there any chance to meassure the data going out of EII and verify that they are OK?

the third one will come from the EII Nr.2)

NOOOOO !!!! Please, do niot mess around with chips, for heaven's sake ! You will only get TWO non working machines !!!!

OK OK, I am not replacing anything Wink

EII Nr.2 - checking the connections between main CPU an PIO chips

Take care of one machine at the time, get the connection diagram, I will check everything and send here the diagrame for the LED probe.
One step after each other, take your taime, you cannot afford to hurry and mess around !

As well : I am sorry if I seem a bit "directive" and even sometimes coleric, but I love my job and I just had an EIII wich has been completely ruined by its owner, telling me "I tought I could do this !"
I told him : "No one ask you to "think", stop "thinking".

In two words, I told him to SHUT his machine IMMEDIATELY, to bring it over, there was a screw hanging aroung. He shaked it and put the power on. Idiot...

I'm not a bad guy ...        Wink

I know Smiley It is OK I am happy having any suggestions or directions Wink
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »

Okay... One machine at a time for the topic here I mean

Lets call them machine "A" and machine "B", ok ?

Machine "A" is a rev 0 with a little board near the RS232 board, not communicating with the Mac.

I need the electric diagram of the 9 pin connector, I mean, WE nedd it !!!

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 03:30:56 PM »

Look at the board and tell me please wich is the name of the conncetor, you should see this written on the board in white, what we call the silkscreen, I found the diagrams !
xmota

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »

Please do not continue in this topic, there are two new topics open each for one EII Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:51:17 AM by xmota » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 11:27:42 AM »

Okay !!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII + Mac SD communication problem

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines