E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - SCSI Trouble -- unpowered EIII lights up when connected to a Macintosh?!?!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:36:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  SCSI Trouble -- unpowered EIII lights up when connected to a Macintosh?!?!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: SCSI Trouble -- unpowered EIII lights up when connected to a Macintosh?!?!  (Read 9955 times)
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »

On a WELL DONE cable, pin 1 is the red cable.
viszla-ator

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:00:30 PM »

SUCCESS!  Smiley

I dismantled the old hard drive case (containing broken optical drive) and removed the centronic female ---> 50 pin flat --> centronic female cable.

After counting the wires to 26 several times, I finally cut the wire with an exacto knife.

I then hooked up everything and was able to transfer sounds back and forth between my EIII and the Mac 7100.  There are a few little kinks to work out with the programs (operator error maybe) but all in all it looks good.

This is going to be fun!

THANKS so much for your help with this.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »

Damned, I misssed that one ! I wanted you to put fire to your EIII !!!   Grin
viszla-ator

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »

Damned, I misssed that one ! I wanted you to put fire to your EIII !!!   Grin
Just thinking about that makes me cry!

The software quirks I worked out - most of them were operator error.

I am liking the EIII remote program more than I thought I would.  How fun!

There are some hardware quirks -- EIII has to be powered on first, then mac.   Additionally Mac does not like being hooked up to an unpowered EIII, say if I am going to work on something else.  So I have to unhook the scsi cable or it will hang at startup.  However, as I say if the EIII is on, the Mac is happy.

It would be nice to use the built-in CDROM of the mac to load Emu CD's but the mac complains and just ejects them.  There may be a solution for that.

I am using a 7100 with an Audiomedia II nubus.  I am going to try it with an 8100 because the tower would be more convenient down under the desk.

Thanks again for the help -- sorry I could not catch it on fire!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 05:54:34 AM »

It would be nice to use the built-in CDROM of the mac to load Emu CD's but the mac complains and just ejects them.  There may be a solution for that.

Wich system are you using on the Mac ?

What is the format of the CD's ?

Have you got "Cd-Rom Toolkit" ? I can send it somewhere !
viszla-ator

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »

I am using 8.1 on the 7100 and 8.5 on the 8100.

CD's are EMU EIII/EIIIx format.

I do have CD-ROM Toolkit somewhere -- I will look for it and see it that helps me!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »

Welll, I'm not sure it will, I believe it was on system 7.

One thing, by the way : in a disk enclosure, the flat cable (data) goes from one connector to the disk and then, back to the second connector.
This means that you may have one connector wich will be PWRTERM and the other not if you cut its cable #26.

So, if you hook your mac to the the connector where the cable 26 is not cut, and the emu to where the cable is cut, everyone is going to work, the mac will work wether if the emu will be powererd or not. Its makes sense to me, and let me know.
If you don't "get it", I will make you a diagram.
viszla-ator

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

I think I have a version of CDT that worked with 8 or 8.5 around somewhere.

I am not sure about how that would work with this SCSI "adaptor".  What I have is

CENTRONICS 50 female <----(cut 26)--- "internal" 50 pin black connector for internal HD --- "uncut" 26 ---- > female Centronics 50

I connect this between MAC 25 -------> 50 male ----> (ADAPTOR)  <50 male -------  25 male --- EIII.

So I think this means that the PWRTERM is effectively cut for both the mac and EIII, since nothing is connected to the "internal" black connector in the middle. 

Does that make sense?

Welll, I'm not sure it will, I believe it was on system 7.

One thing, by the way : in a disk enclosure, the flat cable (data) goes from one connector to the disk and then, back to the second connector.
This means that you may have one connector wich will be PWRTERM and the other not if you cut its cable #26.

So, if you hook your mac to the the connector where the cable 26 is not cut, and the emu to where the cable is cut, everyone is going to work, the mac will work wether if the emu will be powererd or not. Its makes sense to me, and let me know.
If you don't "get it", I will make you a diagram.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »

Seems to be okay
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - SCSI Trouble -- unpowered EIII lights up when connected to a Macintosh?!?!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines