E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - please someone reply - crackling voices

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:21:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  please someone reply - crackling voices
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: please someone reply - crackling voices  (Read 9752 times)
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »

Aha.

So the Apple II is the way to go !
During the last years I was involved in some discussions which legacy systems were compatible with those EII floppy disks. Some said Apple II, others some CP/M box.

If I find an Apple II with some software supplied, I'll buy it !

Would there be a way to transfer files from Apple II to more modern machines  Cheesy ?

///E-Synthesist
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

Absolutely. Let me check, but I think I have somewhere an A/D converter card for Apple II to sample music.

I used to change the EII Eproms (Main) to, instead of insert disk or "This will take a while", to display the owner's name.

It is possible, with an RS232 card, to connect it to the serial port of a PC, or even more viciously, put a modem, to modem.
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »

Hi Esynth!

<<<
How does this memory test disk actually works ? Do you have to boot the EII with this disk, or can you load it in some way after a normal boot ? And once the disk is loaded, does it go back to that disk for loading other portions of its test program (just like normal OS operations on the EII) ?
>>>>

the test disk must be booted. and it only test the memory chips sequentially  it also boots to the lowest part of that memory so if a chip is bad in that area the boot hangs. there are two types of memory diskettes one for the HD type and one for the dual floppy's.

So as you summarized you cant use the rs244 to copy it.
the way i found to copy these disk's was to boot load a normal system disk. Then go into format and swap disks so i had a blank in drive two and the memory test disk in drive one. you can do this right when the display asks you to press yes to copy to drive two. then it loads from disk one and writes to disk two. and i get a copy of the system on the memory disk. this i discovered after much trial and error.
I can do this with the scanner test too. It also is a boot disk only and goes right into its test mode.
the scanner test will give you a way to test keyboard and all switches on the unit. they will light there respective LED'S and you can get a data readout on the display for all other switch's and key contacts.

Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »

Update on a possibly other cause for the clicking noise!

So i get another E11 in for service and it has a clicking noise in output!
But all the memory chips check out fine?

After much reading the service manuals section on theory of operation i realized the microcontroller section reads from ram and stores in a set of registers and outputs the sampled voice, so if anything is the miss in this section it could cause this problem as well, I came to the conclusion it was indeed in the microcontroller section!

I started to swap out every chip in this section one by one and came across the registers section and found one bad chip! a 74ls283 they are IC23 to IC27 on the digital board under the power supply. if it is one with the supply on the right hand side that is.

So it seems two possible places can cause this problem. One in the ram section and one in the micro controllers registers!

Hope this helps you wayward E11 owners out there!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:19:37 PM by Chaztech » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 12:43:07 AM »

Well done chaztech!!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - please someone reply - crackling voices

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines