E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Help! "SimasiMac" on an SE/30 connected to an EII+ HD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:27:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Help! "SimasiMac" on an SE/30 connected to an EII+ HD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help! "SimasiMac" on an SE/30 connected to an EII+ HD  (Read 3217 times)
ditabeardmemo

« on: July 27, 2009, 05:03:38 AM »

Hi everyone:

I realize this is somewhat off-topic, as this is mainly a discussion board for EII technical issues, but I was hoping someone could help with a serious problem I encountered on a Macintosh SE/30.  I purchased this unit second hand for use with my Emulator II+ HD,  and it came fully loaded with the OMI library, the E-mu library, the Sound Designer software, etc. Hence, I'm very concerned about recovering this data... even moreso than I am recovering the computer itself.

In any case, the computer operated normally for the first few days after I bought it. Then, however, it developed a strange pattern at start-up:

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/%7Eshamada/fullmac/repairEng.html#SimasiMac

I started to see the "zebra-like" horizontal rasters a few days ago, but eventually the machine would boot to the desktop as normal.  Now, however, the stripes appear for about five minutes, and then the smiley Mac appears, but then it goes away for 5 seconds and comes back ad infinitum, never completing the boot procedure.

It appears as if some people have found solutions to SimasiMac, but have any of you dealt with this specific problem, or worked inside one of these machines? I'm under the impression that the CRT monitor retains a very dangerous voltage even after the unit has been unplugged, so I'm wary of opening it up and unseating or reseating any chips.  It also looks like - under a worst-case scenario - I might have to replace some capacitors, which is beyond my current soldering ability.

Last night I powered the machine off, unplugged it and let it sit overnight, but the problem persisted this morning.  I also tried it in a different electrical outlet to no avail.

If anyone has advice as to how I might solve this, I would be most appreciative. At a minimum, I would love to salvage the contents of the hard drive... in addition to the rare libraries that came with the machine, I had just finished transferring my entire library of 5" floppy disks.

Thank you!
Brandt

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:09:36 PM »

Hi, Brandt...

Very late here, I will answer tomorrow. I've got a few tracks

Cheers
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »

Perhaps more numerous and profficent experts on vintage macs
are on a mac forum of some sort

Try googling you mac model plus the keyword forum

goodluck and if you find a great mac forum for vintage / old macs that work with the eii please let us know in this thread ^_^

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
wintermute

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:26:37 AM »

Hi,

I also had several issues with my MacPlus.
Here are some things I encountered:
- empty battery
- RAM faulty or badly seated
- bad soldering points on the PCB

The soldering points and the RAM caused a lot of problems on my Mac (Zebra patterns, no picture etc.)
Since I re-soldered them all and swapped the RAM problems have gone away.

You might also check this troubleshooting guide.
It covers most of the problems:
http://www.jagshouse.com/classicrepair.html

Good luck!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:38:30 AM »

Let us know wich forum you have chosen and we will join you there.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Help! "SimasiMac" on an SE/30 connected to an EII+ HD

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines