E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - USB Type-B Port Upgrade

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:37:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  USB Type-B Port Upgrade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Does anyone have any info about the USB(Type B) Port upgrade for use with WaveMAX on Mac OS?
Any info?   -0 (0%)
Parts needed?   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: USB Type-B Port Upgrade  (Read 2354 times)
sincinati

« on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user looking to upgrade my EII with a USB type-B port on the back for use with WaveMAX software on MacOS X,

I have done some reading and it seems like the most practical solution...  You can see it done here by the Canadian band Chromeo: https://youtu.be/Y10AmCiKde8?t=390

Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Stefan
reginator

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »

I did that to my EII+HD.

If you're electronics savvy and a good metalwork; build an EMuSer and mount it inside the EII. Cut the top off the Computer Interface connector and wire the EMuSer to it. Drill a hole in the back of the EII and mount a USB type-B feed through. Connect it to the EMuSer.

I did a lot of customizations to my EII+HD... removed the hard drive and SCSI board, burned new EPROMs, installed a HxC, changed the LED colors, repaired a broken key. It's very nice to look at and to play.

* IMG_9516.JPG (2119.05 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 440 times.)

* IMG_0037.jpg (2671.96 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 427 times.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:34:35 PM by reginator » Logged
sincinati

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »

Thanks reginator for all this info,

It's actually more simple than I imagined,

I am going to start with the EMuSer build just to get the EII nicely functional with my setup,

but you've definitely given me some inspiration to take things further after that,

Take care

dfiorucci

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »

Hey Reginator does your RS422 still function say with an old mac with this configuration of hard wiring the Emuser into it.
If you open it up sometime it would be nice to see some pics of the inside and how you mounted the Emuser.
Thanks,
Dana
reginator

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »

Hi Dana,

I don't have an old mac to test if the RS422 works with the Emuser in parallel.

Photo 1: I cut the top off the RS422 connector with an X-Acto knife. This will reveal the row of terminals you need to solder the Emuser to.

Photo 2: The wires are soldered in and I put some electrical grade sealant to protect it. You can also see the USB Type B feedthrough I installed. (Note: the sealant was old and made a big mess and spewed out everywhere when I squeezed the tube. Make sure you use new sealant that hasn't already partially cured.).  Shocked

Photo 3: The Emuser I built.

Photo 4: The Emuser mounted to the old SCSI tray. My Emulator is an EII+HD and I removed the hard drive, the SCSI board and daughter board, and flashed new Scanner and Main EPROMS.

-Reggie

* Photo 1.JPG (222.57 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 421 times.)

* Photo 2.jpg (413.42 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 423 times.)

* Photo 3.jpg (204.4 KB, 576x768 - viewed 418 times.)

* Photo 4.jpg (379.67 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 417 times.)
dfiorucci

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »

Very nice work.
Think I just might have a go at doing that one less thing to have lying around loose.
Thanks,
Dana
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - USB Type-B Port Upgrade

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines