E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - emu hot

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:17:41 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  emu hot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: emu hot  (Read 7705 times)
sneakyalien

« on: August 13, 2009, 03:31:04 AM »

Hi all,
what temperature should an emu II be inside when its on,mine seems to get quite hot.
Is there anyway of making them run cooler.
I had my emu on the other day and noticed it seemed hot and then the lcd backlight went out,I opened it up and jiggled the ribbon cable to the lcd and the backight illuminated again.
Would the temperature inside an emu cause problems with a backlight?The backlight is not old.
Thanks,
Steve.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:01:15 AM »

What kind ? An E2 ?

Is the fan spinning ?
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »

What kind ? An E2 ?

Is the fan spinning ?

fan?!?!

?!

doc, are you drunk?!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »

What fucking machine is it ? An E3, An E2 ?

I am sorry, but certain series of E2's had a fan on the power supply, the power supply was on the right side
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »

I am sorry, but certain series of E2's had a fan on the power supply, the power supply was on the right side

I'm sure its an EII that he is talking about

I've never seen an EII with a PSU fan

I have EII and EII+ (non hard drive model)  no fans on either of those two

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
JMP

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »

What are you swearing for? He's posted the question under the EII technical Issues/tips forum.

My EII also runs hot Steve (without a fan). Jiggling a ribbon cable to bring it back to life sounds like a dodgy connection or cable to me.

I thought you'd sold your EII...? 

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »

Yep, but I confirm : some machines had a fan.

Okay, well, never mind...
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:25:18 AM »

the power supply was on the right side

I think those right-sided PSU EIIs were the first ones built.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52:11 PM »

Well, yes, about a hundred of them, even more, maybe.
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »

Hi all,
what temperature should an emu II be inside when its on,mine seems to get quite hot.
Is there anyway of making them run cooler.
I had my emu on the other day and noticed it seemed hot and then the lcd backlight went out,I opened it up and jiggled the ribbon cable to the lcd and the backight illuminated again.
Would the temperature inside an emu cause problems with a backlight?The backlight is not old.
Thanks,
Steve.

If it's any comfort my EII runs quite hot in the summer - especially to the left of the display where the PSU is situated.  The vast majority of heat is from the chopper heatsink in the SMPSU.   It's a particularly stupid design as the heatsink surrounds all of the reservoir capacitors which then run really hot too and eventually dry out and fail.

Your backlight issue will not have anything to do with this - this sounds like a bad connection. 

The PSU in the EII is fairly grizzly - It is sadly of an age and technology that is likely to go wrong fairly spectacularly (as is noted for doing so occassionally).   The EII is very power hungry - it requires a pretty brutal 5 volt rail thanks to all of those TTL chips!   I would actually like to see a modern, high efficiency, replacement supply.   There is nothing unusual about the rails in the EII - there are a number of them but this could easily be catered for with two PSU chassis - one for digital and one for analog use.  The modern chassis would be half the size of the old one anyway and there is tons of space on the metal shelf the old PSU is bolted to.

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »

Can someone put the voltages and the pinout ?
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »

Can someone put the voltages and the pinout ?

I did take note of the colour codes vs voltage when I restored my EII - I also have the service manual.   

I will dig out the details....   

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
wintermute

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

I can confirm that my EII has a fan cooled PSU!
The fan blows towards the keys and my EII produces some strange smell (not burned but not too healthy I think).
Serial number is something around 130 (have to check).
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »

Yes older units with the power supply to the right have a fan. not sure if thats true for all of them but i am looking at one now serial number 83. and yes there are a lot of chips that need power so it should run somewhat hot. its when its burning you need to be alarmed! HA!
sneakyalien

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »

Hello Dr.c I thought posting under the emu II issues/tips page would be enough,obviously not.
Hmmm ,don't understand your need to get so angry at a simple question maybe you have anger issues I don't know.
The LCD was just a loose connection and I was just concerned that the emu seems to generate some heat around the power supply area and was just wondering if a cooling fan could be installed to make things run cooler.
I have sold my emu II and just wanted to make sure I was not selling something that had an issue.
I left the emu on  for a while and its running fine.

Other polite posts on here agree they do run hot.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - emu hot

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines