E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - E-Chip masked ROM?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:37:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  E-Chip masked ROM?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: E-Chip masked ROM?  (Read 4674 times)
Escobar

« on: June 04, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »

Hi everyone!
A question about the Emax 1 E-chip:

Does the E-chip contains any kind of memory, like masked ROM or such? Or is it completely controlled by the IP349 eprom?
It would be interesting to get that clarified.

Thanks for answers in advance.
Freddy

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 05:50:16 AM »

Checked the service manual. From my understanding - no.
Escobar

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:05:35 AM »

Thank you Freddy for your answer, I do have the service manual also but I wasn't sure if I have missed something.

The reason for my question is that while I was checking out the schematics - specially the schematics over the E-chip and sound memory - I noticed a very interesting thing;
the address lines for sound memory (SMA 0 - SMA 19) the E-chip only make use of the first 19 address lines. Line #20 (SMA19) has no connection at all and are left unused.
My theory is that this unused address line could be used for expanding the sound memory with additional 512k dram.
The line could be used as a select signal in four 1:2 demultiplexers similar to SMA lines #8, #11, and #12. You would only need to demultiplex the four control lines: SDOE (WE), CAS, RAS0, and RAS1 coming out from the PAL chip (IC49) to make it work. Ofcourse one would probably need to update the firmware also.

Just an idea..

Thanks again for your answer.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - E-Chip masked ROM?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines