E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - E-mu Emulator II Key Mechanism & Kawai K1

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:05:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  E-mu Emulator II Key Mechanism & Kawai K1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: E-mu Emulator II Key Mechanism & Kawai K1  (Read 1247 times)
who

« on: November 21, 2021, 09:16:53 AM »

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted here, at least regularly.  Anyway, I embarked on one of the last repairs needed on the EII I purchased nearly a decade ago.  My EII has a problem with one key not working in the upper register.  I tried replacing the membrane and that didn't work.  I saw a K1 up for sale recently and remembered hearing it uses the same keybed as the EII, so I thought I'd give it a try.  While it is true the mechanism is the same, it is not a drop-in replacement.  Kawai implemented the mechanism differently, some of the changes are trivial while others are not.  The PCB is different as are the connectors.  The brackets used to mount the keybed are different and the damping mechanism also appears to be different.  Finally, the K1 appears to have aftertouch whereas the EII does not.

At this point, I don't know how much of the K1 keybed I'll be able to use, if anything at all.  we'll see how things go...
who

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 10:33:32 AM »

Scratch the part about the damping...It appears to be the same.  The kawai keybed is noisier though...hmmm.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - E-mu Emulator II Key Mechanism & Kawai K1

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines