E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - The other side of the interface.........

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:08:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  The other side of the interface.........
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The other side of the interface.........  (Read 5020 times)
midipuppies

« on: July 24, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

Finally opened her up. This is what I found.....  Angry

* DSCN0398.JPG (1368.6 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 562 times.)

* DSCN0397.JPG (1408.21 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 538 times.)

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:03:20 PM »

if you use the normal 1/4 outputs will they be affected anyway by this mod ?

or will you have to get some type of device to plug into that pinout port?

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
midipuppies

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »

I don't know. I am still working on the unit doing the HD upgrade (cf flash from SCSI4Samplers 1GB) and Telesis backlight. I should have everything back together today, so I will let you know. From what I can tell, I would have to say that it was a professional job by whoever did it, and someone has written D.M. 6/22/88 on the inside of the unit. Most likely a tech.
All of the inputs/outputs are connected to this thing, so I am wondering if I could get a snake that would plug into it or not. It would be nice and tidy especially given the amount of gear that I will be running.

rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »

I don't know. I am still working on the unit doing the HD upgrade (cf flash from SCSI4Samplers 1GB) and Telesis backlight.

you shouldn't need anything from scsi4samplers to put a cf card in your EIII as your HD.  All the parts can be purchased separately.  Not to say scsi4samplers doesn't offer a good service, but I think it would just be adding a lot of costs to the project.

If you are putting in the backlight yourself can you take pics as you install it and make a thread on the forum for it please?

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:42:55 AM »

Concerning the cabling modifications : It should not change anything to the 6,35 outputs, only maybe impedance, the outputs may be lower when these new outputs are used in parallel with the normal ones.

Something else : the issue on the E3 about the disks are the cost, power consumprtion, and the noise.

Why not, instead of a memory card, putting an IDE laptop (portable computer) hard disk inside ? Fast, very silent, low power consumption, rugged against shocks...
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:49:50 AM »

Why not, instead of a memory card, putting an IDE laptop (portable computer) hard disk inside ? Fast, very silent, low power consumption, rugged against shocks...

do you mean like a netbook / mini notebook

i think that would add a lot of extra heat

also i believe the largest HD that the EIII OS can see is 1 gb.  getting a 1 gb HD for a laptop would be something rather old, larger, more heat, moving parts in the HD

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:00:14 AM »

I don't remember if I have tried ever tried larger disks than 1 gig.

Next time I get an E3, I will try and let know.

Do you know whhere to get PALS to upgrade a machine from 4 to 8 megs ?

Regards
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:01:40 AM »

Regards

i know someone who has ram for EIII but not those PAL chips.  Sad 

man those pal chips are like a pre-dongle technology to make sure users would not go out and just purchase ram and stick it in their machines.

midipuppies

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:05 AM »

There is a guy here in Calgary that used to repair all the big band name's synths out of L.A.
He has been doing it for 30+ years and now runs a synth museum here. Really impressive, but he has EVERYTHING. I have met him and he has eprom burners, can upgrade EII memory - the works.
He still offers full service for all synths and samplers. When I was there last, he had a prophet 5 in for repair from the Talking Heads that he was just about to ship back to them. He also has all the old tape backups for pre sysex stuff too. He has even found a way to duplicate the coveted Emax II memory upgrade disks and can do that too.
I am going to have to give him the EIII I am working on as it turns out the inverter for the backlight is actually the problem, and not the backlight itself.
Reference the hard drive I put in, it will not come out of the verifying format screen. After a reboot, I tried to install the O.S. to it and got a bank does not exist error. I think that there might be a thread on the forum here concerning that very issue.
Anyway, the guys name here that fixes and upgrades all is:

John Leimseider, Cantos Music Foundation
403-543-5127
leimseiderj@cantos.ca

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »

Regards

I know someone who makes those. I'll try to find his email adress...
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »

Thanks in advance...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - The other side of the interface.........

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines