E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Convert EII to EII +

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:51:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Convert EII to EII +
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Convert EII to EII +  (Read 20754 times)
dfiorucci

« on: June 04, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »

I used to have a pdf from emulator archive that was the procedure to convert an EII to an EII +
Basically it was changing all of the drams from 4264-15 to 41256-15 or 41256-12 and changing the jumper wires at W1 , W2, W3 & W4.
Also new Main and Scanner Eproms for the EII+
I believe the EII+ doesn't have the piggyback memory board that is the reason for the jump up to 256k drams instead of 64k but like I said I don't remember and have lost the pdf over the years.
So 2 things anyone have the pdf instructions and can anyone confirm that the EII+ doesn't have the piggyback memory board.
TIA,
Dana
dfiorucci

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:54:27 PM »

So as soon as I get around to getting an ide toaster I should be able to locate this pdf form Rob at the emulator archive.
I'll post it when I find it.
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 11:19:42 PM »

I have the pdf,
i've never done the upgrade.

* Emulator-Memory-Upgrade.pdf (28.37 KB - downloaded 369 times.)

2 hands with 10 fingers
dfiorucci

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »

Thanks so much I knew I was imagining it but who can know for sure the older I get LOL Grin
dfiorucci

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »

I'm remembering why I never completed this upgrade.
The instructions are for a Rev 0 Digital board and don't apply for a Rev 1 Digital board that I have in my EII.
I had bought mine a couple of months before they came out with the EII +
My Digital board even has the labels for the jumpers to set it to either 256K or 64K.

Once I get everything else solved and in working order I think I'm going to do the upgrade and document it for those that have the Rev 1 Digital board as I believe it is going to be a much simpler upgrade than in the instructions from Rob at the Emulator Archive.

By the way I have two toggle switches already installed in mine that allow me to configure from the 64K to 256K jumper settings.
justnoise

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:29:10 PM »

I'm remembering why I never completed this upgrade.
The instructions are for a Rev 0 Digital board and don't apply for a Rev 1 Digital board that I have in my EII.
I had bought mine a couple of months before they came out with the EII +
My Digital board even has the labels for the jumpers to set it to either 256K or 64K.

Once I get everything else solved and in working order I think I'm going to do the upgrade and document it for those that have the Rev 1 Digital board as I believe it is going to be a much simpler upgrade than in the instructions from Rob at the Emulator Archive.

By the way I have two toggle switches already installed in mine that allow me to configure from the 64K to 256K jumper settings.

I'd be really interested to hear the outcome.
dfiorucci

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »

Just got everything back up and running as the regular version and just replaced the display.
This or the replacing one of the drives with SD drive is next.
I'll keep you posted.
What rev is your digital board?
dfiorucci

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »

So I started experimenting with this I got a hold of the guy who burned the last eproms for me and he said I was good with the versions that I had 2.1 Main & 3.1 Scanner he said that they would work for either a regular EII or the EII+ only the HD needed a different Main.
So I've removed the piggyback memory board swapped out the 32 64k chips on the main board with 256k ones.
I set my jumper switches to 256k settings(remember I had added switches when I was experimenting going to a + model prior)
Next I ran the disk based memory test had to change out a few ram but now it passes.

I only have a 3.0 OS disk and I believe I need a 3.1 OS to be able to access the other bank but I'm able to load one bank for now.

I'm getting some distortion on playback but I believe some of the ram is not good I was getting errors and just swapped them around.
Have some more on order now will see when I replace them.
dfiorucci

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 11:17:34 PM »

Anyone in the Seattle area that I can get a 3.1 OS disk from or through mail.
dfiorucci

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »

Update I was able to install the 256k drams on the main board set the jumpers to W1 & W4 for 256k and was able to get it to pass the memory test but it was inconsistent and when I loaded a disk I was getting erratic playback with distortion.
I'm thinking I have a few bad ram so I'm waiting on some more.
Still though even with OS 3.0 booted entering 00 did nothing so I'm guessing there has to be something that I'm missing that tells the software that it now has 2 banks of 512k.

Can anyone with an EII + confirm that OS 3.0 is a working OS for that configuration.

Again the goal here is to develop instructions to convert a single bank Emulator II to a II+ that already has the Rev 1 Digital Board.
The previous instructions that where online and updated by the Emulator Archive was based on converting a Rev 0 Digital Board.
Apparently it was never documented by Emu Systems in house when they switched from doing ones with a single bank to the dual bank using the Rev 1 Digital Boards on both.
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »

Great info.
I have the rev1 digital Board.

I thought that o.s 3.1 Was only for the midisupermode. But the user manuel for EII+ has os3.1written on the first page

2 hands with 10 fingers
dfiorucci

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »

Yeah that's what I thought initially but then I saw some where that described what each OS version did and it said that OS 3.0 added double memory banks.
It makes sense that is correct because that is a major OS change thus the jump from 2.6 to 3.0.
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »

I Wonder why that's notre working for you. Did you used 150ns for the DRAM. Cause 120ns and 100ns are too fast

2 hands with 10 fingers
dfiorucci

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »

Yes they where 120ns but I believe that is what they used when they went to the 256k drams.
Do you have the EII+ and are yours labeled KM41256AP-15?
dfiorucci

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

Well that's not the issue I found several pictures of the insides of Emulator II+ with 120ns drams in them.
Matter of fact one of them is serial number 15 later than mine it it's an EII+
Missed it by a couple of months probably.
<https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EL4EJnhYIhQ/Vp5o1W27_qI/AAAAAAAKKyo/bQd3tD5wzwI/s1600/9.jpg>
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Convert EII to EII +

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines