E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Upgrading EII+ to EII+HD w/ DREM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:30:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Upgrading EII+ to EII+HD w/ DREM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Upgrading EII+ to EII+HD w/ DREM  (Read 2591 times)
azone

« on: July 20, 2019, 12:25:32 AM »

We have a few EII+ here - I'm going to be upgrading them to EII+HD spec & installing the DREM.
Floppy emulators are a pain because they load like floppy's "...This will take a while..." Emuser is better but still not ideal. Loading from HD takes a few seconds and is heaven.
Anyway, we don't have an EII+HD here right now for reference, just a service manual. Can anyone confirm that the upgrade to HD is plug and play and just requires installing the ACB-4000 Winchester controller boards & installing the EII+HD Boot ROM?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:31:30 AM by azone » Logged
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:27:28 AM »

You also need an Emu SCSI interface board, which sits between the main board and the ACB4000A.
This board was a specific Emu part, and is (obviously) not available anymore.
But the schematics are available in the Emu Emulator-II HD Conversion manual; afaik none of the components on that board are unique Emu designs, so it should be possible to build them.
The HD Conversion manual can be found in the Yahoo Emulator-II Group's file section.

azone

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »

Thanks Chris. I have three EII's here that I'll be installing DREM. All of them are non-HD models, so it looks like I'll be designing the E-mu SCSI interface board. We will make it available to everyone when done. If anyone has one that we can borrow for reference please send me a PM. I'd need it for ~2 days to reverse engineer.

I'm about to start a new thread on the EII to DREM work log so keep an eye out for it (link below)
http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=3686.0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:30:02 PM by azone » Logged
brian_ronn

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 06:38:21 AM »

Thanks Chris. I have three EII's here that I'll be installing DREM. All of them are non-HD models, so it looks like I'll be designing the E-mu SCSI interface board. We will make it available to everyone when done. If anyone has one that we can borrow for reference please send me a PM. I'd need it for ~2 days to reverse engineer.

I'm about to start a new thread on the EII to DREM work log so keep an eye out for it (link below)
http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=3686.0

It sounds very good that you'll recreate the E-mu SCSI interface board and make them available to the EII community. Count me in for one or maybe two boards. I'm looking forward to this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Upgrading EII+ to EII+HD w/ DREM

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines