E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Adding Gotek with OLED Display and Rotary Encoder

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:26:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Adding Gotek with OLED Display and Rotary Encoder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adding Gotek with OLED Display and Rotary Encoder  (Read 2873 times)
dfiorucci

« on: February 07, 2020, 09:00:23 PM »

Well I've finally have gotten around to replacing one of my floppy drives with a floppy emulator.
I ended up deciding to try a Gotek USB Floppy emulator.
The reason I went this route was I can add an OLED display and a rotary encoder which I think would be much faster to scroll through banks with than using the up down buttons.
Also the Gotek can now use the HXC software but I've also seen support for the EII mentioned by using Flashfloppy.
Keirf (Flashfloppy developer) had mentioned that he might be able to support the native .EII files also.
He understands that it would require merging the two files the OS and the Data.

At the very least I can flash it with HXC and use it that way.
Also the cost was around $50 US for everything.
Everything should be here by 2-10-2020 and I'll get started on the project and post back my results.
dfiorucci

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »

I've been doing some thinking about whether to put the Gotek formatted as HXC as drive 1 or drive 2 and I'm thinking with using the USB Gotek instead of the SD HXC that it might be possible to actually leave both floppies installed inside along with the circuit board for the Gotek underneath those drives.
I would then mount the OLED display into the Emulator II case in the area above the pitch and mod wheels or the panel area next to the drives and Emulator II display.
I could place a USB port either above or below the two floppies.

I'd also would want to come up with a programmable switcher that would allow with one button push to swap the Gotek HCX to either drive 1 or drive 2.
So this switcher would need to combine both configurations 10 & 12 laid out by Kris Van De Cappelle along with changing the jumper location for the Gotek HCX.

Here are the pros and cons as I see it.
Pros: A very unique Emulator II configuration with the ability to use a combination of original drives and the Gotek HXC in any configuration.

Cons: Would have to alter the original case to give access to the display, rotary encoder and USB port
Would need to come up with a chip that I could program to do the switch configuration.

Possible 3rd configuration would be to replace one of the floppies with the Gotek HCX and have a switch that would swap the original floppy and the Goteck HXC from drive 1 & 2.
This would require re-configuring both jumpers on both drivers along with breaking the connection to the resistor pack on the original floppy to be able to switch it back and forth from drive 1 & 2.
dfiorucci

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:45 AM »

So I did some more research and the native .EII file is a no go for now with Floppyflash so I went with Hxc for the Gotek.
I'm going to set it up as drive one initially but I'm going to figure out a way of possibly doing configuration 3 that I outlined previously.
For now I have it working with the OLED display and the rotary encoder.
I'm using the program Emulator II Banks to HFE v0.2 to convert  my files.
It's superfast and easy to do and it keeps the folder structure that I have set up.
dfiorucci

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »

So I did some research and option 3 seems easy to accomplish with 4 ALD4211PCL and 1 ALD4212PCL.
basically these are one input 4 channel switch chip so I would need to make a circuit board for the 5 chips and to hold the resistor pack.
I'll need a switch to generate 0  or 1 as a toggle.
The ALD4211PCL and ALD4212PCL are identical except for reverse logic.
So I would need to swap the drive pins for the Gotek that is 2 switches one to the first ALD4211PCL and the second to the ALD4212PCL so an input of 0 will connect one and disconnect the other drive pins.
Same thing for the floppy drive as far as pin jumpers but I will also need to use 14 of the switches to connect or disconnect the resistor pack.
The circuit will run on +5V so that's easy to do.
Just not sure exactly how to generate the 0 or 1 from a switch???
Any ideas?
I plan on mounting the switch to the front of the 3.5 to 5.25 adapter that is housing the Gotek.
Just a simple small red push button.
dfiorucci

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:28:19 PM »

After doing a rough layout of the circuit Board today I'm going to swap the ALD4212PCL with a ALD4213PCL.
It is basically half of a 4211 and 4212.
It has two switches that operate like the 4211 and two that operate like the 4212.
I'm using this chip to control the drive selects on the Gotek and Floppy drive.
dfiorucci

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 01:41:19 AM »

Anyone with experience with circuit board development experience want to jump into this project?
I have the basic layout done but there are a few things I'm unsure on.
Thanks,
Dana
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Adding Gotek with OLED Display and Rotary Encoder

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines