E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II: hardwired fetures and/or software dependent?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:03:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emulator II: hardwired fetures and/or software dependent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emulator II: hardwired fetures and/or software dependent?  (Read 3597 times)
Escobar

« on: September 01, 2009, 02:22:59 AM »

This might sound a silly question but I have to ask it anyway:

I've been wondering how much of EII's capabilities are hardwired and/or how much of it's fetures depends on the OS or software? I'm thinking about the fixed sampling frequency of 27.5kHz, how much memory it can use etc. What part(s) are software respective hardware dependent? Does anyone have a clue?

// Escobar
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:25:38 AM by Escobar » Logged
Escobar

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:05:38 AM »

No one?
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:31:22 AM »

Hold on a minute, please...

I was yesterday at the hospital and I am going right now for another meeting.

Other poeple than I may also have their own problems, not being able to answer right awy, aie aie, sir !
Escobar

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:04:42 AM »

Sorry for my impatience.

I came up with this thought about mapping the EII in more detailed manner. To fully understand how the instrument works (ok, ok, I know it's not an original idea, some of you guys/gals have already been thinking about this but anyway Wink), how the OS and the ROM code are formed/working. All this - if possible - to enhance the code/OS with new functions.

Example of enhanced function:
It's well known that EII can't handle more than 512kb RAM for sampling a sound even though you might have 1mb RAM. But what if it could be possible to sample to a hard drive (for those lucky enough to have a HD on there EIIs) for longer samples? Just a crazy idea. Now, how would that be possible? Maybe by using the two 512kb ram memory as a double buffer before the sample is stored on the fly into the HD. This might not be possible because of hardware restrictions. Maybe a memorycard solution using the floppy diskdrive interface could be used for those with no harddrive. It requires a development of a memorycard replacment unit, as discussed in another thread.
This and other ideas I have is the reason I would like to know more about the EII software/hardware layout.

Thanks,

//Escobar
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »

Hi, to be honnest, I really don't know. I guess you would have to load the ROMS in a computer and then, retrace whats going on with  digital analyser on the bus and write down the steps to find the overlays. After then, one you have the instruction map on the floppy, retrace the whole thing. After then, you would have to rewrite the whole software. Anyway, there are somethings you would also have to change in the hardware.
If you change the clocks, the filters will not filter the same way anymore, so the sound won't be the same anymore, anyway ! So, it won't be an E2 anymore !

Escobar

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:22:25 AM »

Thanks for your reply dr.c

I don't want to take away anything that defines the E2, but more like enhance it with features or functions that expand its capabilities. If it requires too much changes - especially the hardware - I guess it's not worth it.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:27:04 AM »

Well, at first, it won't worth it, but as well, it will not sound anymore like an E2 !!!! Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II: hardwired fetures and/or software dependent?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines