E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMXP Error code

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:16:13 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EMXP Error code
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EMXP Error code  (Read 2974 times)
jon909

« on: March 18, 2020, 05:55:46 AM »

Greetings,

This is regarding the error code below from EMXP trying to connect with EMU EMAX1 , via Emuser (1.02 firmware)
Hoping for some advise here...pls see attachment.

The file i was trying to transfer to Emax was a .EM1 file btw.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

thank you in advance.

Peace
JY

* Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 12.41.06 PM.png (15.45 KB, 863x538 - viewed 541 times.)
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »

This error typically occurs if there's no communication possible via RS422.
Changing the timeout parameter is the first command sent to the Emax-I, so if it fails it typically indicates that no connection is possible at all.
Multiple causes are possible, but a "typical" one is using an Emax operating system which does not support RS422 communication, like the early non-SE/non-Plus operating systems.
jon909

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »

Hi Esynthesist

Thanks for the responding.

Do you mind elaborate further on this ? Since i got the Emax, besides getting it to work on the floppy drive that came with it on some of the floppies(not all) , i never got the chance to get it working properly with HXC Rev F drive (though some successes recently but stopped working again) and since i am trying EXMP via Wine and Wolfram's EMAX software with no success.

The Emax came with an upgrade from Emax HD to Emax SE (i believe)

My understanding of the Emax is that the OS sits in the floppy (i stand to be corrected as some floppies after loading, the display - incorrect right software)

Since i am trying out EXMP, should i be loading in the OS first (before any sound files) after powering up the Emax or ...?

Highly Appreciated If you would be so kind to lead me step by step on the loading process.

Cheers

Peace
JY

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 10:20:32 AM »

If your Emax has no hard disk (or SCSI2SD) installed, it can only boot from floppy disk or HxC.
You should make sure that the disk used for booting the Emax contains an SE, HD-SE or Plus operating system. I hope at least one of your floppy disks contains such OS version.
Once booted, the EmuSer with SMAX or EMXP should work (if there's no other problem of course, like using a wrong cable or having a failing driver/receiver IC in the Emax). Also make sure there's no MIDI activity through connected MIDI cables when you're using RS422, and make sure that the MIDI OUT is not defined as THRU in the current preset on the Emax.

The Emax can complain about wrong/different software versions if you mix floppy disks that contain different operating system versions.
E.g. if you boot with an SE OS disk and then insert another disk containing the SE/HD OS, the Emax will complain when it tries to load another part of the operating system (this typically occurs when you press the button of another module, like Preset Definition or Master). The Emax needs to access the operating system on the disk every time you choose another "module", because the OS is not entirely loaded after booting (due to RAM capacity restrictions)
So for each "module", the Emax needs to retrieve a small part of the OS from the disk. But it won't accept module OS parts from other operating system versions than the one used to boot the Emax...
The remedy is to copy the same software version to all of your floppy disks (or all HFE files if you use the HxC)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMXP Error code

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines