E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Button cleaning

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:19:00 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Button cleaning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Button cleaning  (Read 3798 times)
Chaztech

Relativity!

« on: September 16, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »

One problem i have encountered on all E2's is the button switch's intermittent. some so bad as to render them useless. What i discovered was if you pry off the square cap with a small flat head jewelers screwdriver very carefully (these snap right back on) you can clean the contacts underneath.
There is a small spring metal piece that comes out (does not attach to anything just rests inside) and right below that are two contact points. one in the middle and one in the upper right corner. clean these with an eraser or contact cleaner and the back of the spring metal and reassemble.
I hope someone can take some pictures of the procedure and post them. i will try if i have time.
Happy emulating!

Chaztech

I have button scanner and memory test disks!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:24:08 PM by Chaztech » Logged
JMP

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »

I think someone took photos of this procedure in the EII Yahoo Users Group. I've definately seen it somewhere.

I cleaned my button contacts using methylated spirits, found it did a better job. Doesn't always work though, I still have a couple that double-trigger. Sometimes a new button contact is the only way to go... !

Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »

Yes JMP agreed! a new set of buttons would be the best!
I have had really good results with even spraying d5 right in the side of the button where the square edge and the outer plastic part of the button is.This i did only on my own unit as a test.
A pencil eraser seems to do a really excellent job. but be sure to clean all the loose particles out after with an air can or even spray contact conditioner which gives it some protection from more oxide.
Yes methylated spirits is excellent too!

I mentioned this all for the people that don't have an easy access to a good tech to have it done.
The contacts get almost black with oxide. cleaning them off restores there function and relieves the frustration of pressing them ten times to get them to register.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:41:43 PM by Chaztech » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:14:48 AM »

Okay....

To lift the button, the best is a thin screwdriver inserted between the moving part and the case, near the corner, used as a lever.

What I used to do is to take off the elastic little metal plate,, clean it, and, wit the swrewdriver blade, scratch gently the contacts underneath. A lttle brush to take off the dust, put the blade and the cap back in place, and here we go.

These are the same for the EII, Drumulator, SP12, etc...

Done it hundreds of times...
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:20:31 AM »

Once I lost a blade (lets call it this way...)

I took scissors and cut one in the bottom of a soda can !
Beware : before cutting it, scratch the bottom of the can with a sandpaper because I don't know how, but the aluminum is treated and non conductive till you scratch it well (varnish, maybe).
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:25:14 AM »

http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=102.15

button cleaning guide on page 2

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »

Thanks Rokues

I did not see that thread or I would have not started this one!
seems im late to the party! sorry guys!
Anyway its good you linked to it for people to know its there.
it is a lot more thorough then mine!

cheers!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:08:22 PM by Chaztech » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Button cleaning

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines