E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - New Emulator II+ HD -- Trying to get to Square One

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:53:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  New Emulator II+ HD -- Trying to get to Square One
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Emulator II+ HD -- Trying to get to Square One  (Read 2914 times)
ryansupak

« on: August 28, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »

Hi, I just took receipt of my Emulator II+ HD today.  (I recently restored an SP-1200 and I'm in love with the way the E-Mu of the 1980s designed instruments.)  It needs some buttons, keys, and fader knobs, but thanks to this forum I located all that stuff (Kawai K1 keys and Forat on the buttons and fader knobs).

Also, it needs a new display, but since the display looks to be identical to the SP-1200's, I plan to use a Noritake VFD to replace the Emulator II display just as I did with the SP-1200: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=286-1068-ND

My EII has a 5.25 disk drive on top and an ancient Hard Drive on the bottom.  With no Floppy in, I turn the machine on and get this message on the display:

Code:
***Emulator 2***
Boot in Progress

In the meantime, the HD's light is flashing and it is making the appropriate noises.  After a few moments, I am prompted with this message:

Code:
Insert Diskette

I have no EII Library or Performance disks.  I do have two boxes of NOS DS/DD 5.25", however.  Even though the EII manual PDF that I found tells me that disks may only be formatted in the bottom drive, I try putting one of my blanks in (with write protection disabled).  The Floppy Drive makes some noises for a few minutes, but the display never changes.

During this time, none of the buttons on the panel have any effect.  (I was hoping that I could switch over to the HD and try to load something from there for instance, but no luck).

Thanks for any hints on how to proceed!
rs
JMP

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »

Appears you need an existing EII performance floppy to boot as the HD is likely knackered. The floppy also contains the OS that you need to perform the format of your blank disks. You can buy performance floppy disks from here:

http://www.northstarsamples.com/EIIFloppies.html

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »

Depending on where you're located, maybe it could easlily be possible for a forumite to mail you a performance disk.
ryansupak

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »

Thanks all.  I had seen some of those Northstar disks I wanted, so I'll get some and see if that does the trick.

Also, I spoke to Forat and he says that he's got all the original E-MU libraries as well as the 3-CD set that came out in the mid-90s.  He is going to get back with me on purchase costs for these items, copied onto new 5.25" disks.  Once he gets back to me on those costs I will post them in this forum.

rs
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »

Huh
You're gonna buy Those 3 CDs converted to floppy disks? That will cost a lot I bet.

Thanks all.  I had seen some of those Northstar disks I wanted, so I'll get some and see if that does the trick.

Also, I spoke to Forat and he says that he's got all the original E-MU libraries as well as the 3-CD set that came out in the mid-90s.  He is going to get back with me on purchase costs for these items, copied onto new 5.25" disks.  Once he gets back to me on those costs I will post them in this forum.

rs
ryansupak

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »

Not all of them.  Maybe parts of it...
rs
KEKENALII

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 02:08:15 AM »

I had the same problem with my EII+HD. Forat fixed the hard drive for me. Maybe you could have him try and fix yours?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - New Emulator II+ HD -- Trying to get to Square One

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines