E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - nice storage !!!! maybe for eII

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:31:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  nice storage !!!! maybe for eII
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: nice storage !!!! maybe for eII  (Read 2161 times)
roginator

« on: September 06, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »

http://www.mmj.pl/~lotharek/atari/www/sd%20floppy.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5G9UBxyhbOU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5G9UBxyhbOU&rel=1</a>

anybody know more about this?Huh?
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »

anybody know more about this?
Well... this is the famous HxC floppy emulator, for which the firmware has been updated to support the DPX1.
Which is quite easy, because the DPX1 floppy disks have a known disk format layout.
BTW: this HxC also supports the Emax.

But... concerning the Emulator II: the HxC could only support the original EII disk format, if the disk format specifications would be known. If not, the HxC firmware can not be adapted.
Unfortunately we don't know all details about this disk format. 2 times 80 tracks, 540KB in total. That's all we know. And it probably doesn't use the 'usual' sector sizes, which for the HxC would mean that the EII would not be able to write to the SD card.
Probably the few specs we have are not sufficient for the guy who is working on the HxC.
But I was going to contact him about it.... I didn't do it yet.

I have been considering to try finding out the EII disk layout by connecting a Commodore 5.25 drive to my Vista PC through a custom serial adapter, and then use the low level programming interface of the Commodore drive to find out the disk layout. But that's not my biggest priority  Wink

PFM

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »

I posted a thread on the EII General discussion about the possibility of using a
Datex DTX200 floppy drive emulator - designed as a direct CF card replacement to a Shugart-style drive or the ipacs emulator with a USB port for a stick which can carry virtual floppy images.
Theoretically, as long as you had a dual floppy EII and the top drive was a 5.25" or 3.5" floppy drive with the OS disk, couldn't the EII then format and use an floppy emulator in the lower drive? - as long as the emulator mimics a Shugart interface and sets up a virtual folder that fools the EII OS into thinking it's a floppy disk?

2 x Emulator II, 2 x Emax II Turbo, and 2 x ESI4000
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - nice storage !!!! maybe for eII

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines