E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - New EII User, Power Supply Issue

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:07:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  New EII User, Power Supply Issue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New EII User, Power Supply Issue  (Read 2016 times)
jimstew37

« on: September 15, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »

Hello, all:

I recently picked up an EII (model 6060, serial 2113).

When I first powered the thing up, the drive LEDs came on steady, as well as a few random panel LEDs. No drive noise, just a faint hum from the power supply. The drives didn't operate, and nothing on the display, although the backlight operates.

To cut to the chase, I checked out the power supply first thing, and, sure enough, one of the yellow wires on the 8 pin connector was a bit burned (actually, it was the molex connector that was burned, not the wire itself). I ultimately replaced the burned part of the connector (kind of a kludge). I also re-soldered those connections on the PCB, although they didn't look bad.

At this point, when powered up, the drive LEDs don't come on, but the backlight and a few other LEDS come on, namely the sequencer "stop" and "edit," as well as the "special" and "LFO" LEDs. No drive noise, and nothing else.

I've checked the voltages on the 8 pin connector, which are, from left to right as you look at the power supply from the keyboard:

-12.00 V
8.5 V
0.0 V
0.0 V
0.0 V
3.5 V
3.5 V
11.5 V

These all seem low, based on information I've seen on this board and elsewhere.

I should point out one other thing: When I replaced the molex connector, I mistakenly plugged the thing in one pin to the left, so that probably scrambled things up pretty good. The interesting thing is that when it was connected this way and powered up, the display read:

***Emulator 2***
Boot in Progress

I was pretty happy about that until I smelled something burning, and noticed that connector plugged in incorrectly!

Any ideas of what damage I may have caused, and what my next steps might be? Also, is there a way to test the disc drives outside of the EII? By this I mean just applying power somehow in order to see that they operate mechanically.

Sorry about the lengthy post, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jim Stewart
emulator2hd

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »

Hi,don't you know someone who's a Radio or TV Technican,he can fix it by using an Oscilloscope. Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - New EII User, Power Supply Issue

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines