E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMXP with EII cable question

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:24:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EMXP with EII cable question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EMXP with EII cable question  (Read 3317 times)
Dimensional Space
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:18:04 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:01:30 PM by Dimensional Space » Logged
JMP

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »

You need to have a full read of the EMXP page:

http://users.skynet.be/emxp/index.htm

As I understand it, this is largely a program to convert formats between different samplers; EII, Emax, Akai S1000 etc.

The CDR you have will be EII soundbanks in Sound Designer format. Sound Designer for the EII runs on an old Mac with OS around 7.1, your cable connects to a serial port of the Mac (modem/printer) and the EII to load banks etc.

Check out the links part of the EMXP site, in particular what is in here and the Yahoo site database info. Compatible Mac/EII configurations are listed there. From my own experience a Mac Classic, SE or Powerbook 165c/180c usually work OK.   

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »

Don't laugh.

It's hard to.
You could  (maybe should) read the manual.
rtech

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »

Hey Dimemsional,

I dont think EMXP works directly with a Serial Cable. Anyways, are you trying to use it with the EII you got from ebay not to long ago? How did you get it up and running? Did you take it to a shop? I got one over the weekend, it runs but not 100%.

RTech
rtech

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »

Your in the LA area? Who is fixing it for you? What price dir they quote you? Was the only problem the power supply?

Yeah the EMXP needs a special USB to RS422 adatpter for it to work. The only way you can transfer banks directly to the Emulator II is with the Mac and Sound Designer for EII. I am going to try it out today also, but I need to build the cable for my Mac SE/30.

rtech
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »

Almost no commercially available USB-RS422 adapter will work between a PC and the EII, because most of them don't support synchronous mode (external clocking).
That's why the EmuComBox was designed specifically for use between a PC (e.g. running EMXP) and the EII/Emax. This device supports the specifications required by Emu samplers.

Since - until now - the EmuComBox must be built by yourself, it depends how you actually construct it whether you can also use the cable provided by EmulatorArchive.
The EmuComBox should have a miniDIN8 connector installed (not mentioned in the construction manual) in order to re-use that specific cable.
However, the next version of the EmuComBox - called E-muSer (pronounced almost like Amuser :-) - will have a much more detailed construction manual and this device will use a DB9 connector instead of a direct wiring to the EII or instead of a miniDIN8 connector.
Pictures of the E-MuSer can already be found on the website:
http://www.emxp.net/EMUCOMBOX.htm
Within a month or so, I'll probably be able to ship some of these E-muSer devices to anyone who wants to buy and (still) test them.

Anyway, if you would succeed in getting or creating this small EmuComBox or EmuSer device, the latest version of EMXP is indeed able to transfer banks between a PC and the EII without any need for a Mac. Full bank transfers take about 20 seconds of transfer time as opposed to 13 seconds on a Mac.

As you suggest yourself, the Mac - EII connection is of course another good alternative. If you just want to use the CDR as a kind of hard disk via a computer for your EII, the Mac solution for sure is sufficient for you and will work. Be sure to buy a Mac Classic, Mac Powerbook 160-180 or Mac SE/HD, Mac SE/30...

The EMXP solution is an alternative if you don't want to go for an ancient Mac anymore. Or if you also want to use the other features of EMXP (which is indeed mainly focused on translations in case of an EII).

One last note: I know some people are quite impatient to get answers as soon as possible on the forums/groups. But I think saying that "relying on this forum you would be screwed" is quite an exageration. Be aware that you posted your question only one day ago, and that not all members even had the chance to post a reply.
Also, having members such as Dr.C on this group prooves that this forum has actually been helping many Emu-users in the recent past. Don't take all reactions too seriously, e.g. Elmbeatz is really a valuable member of this group... Moreover, the answer to your question could indeed also be found on the EMXP website (emucombox link) and in the manual of EMXP v2.09. But I'm aware that it's a lot to read or browse to find the very particular answer to your question...
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »

Within a month or so, I'll probably be able to ship some of these E-muSer devices to anyone who wants to buy and (still) test them.

Count me in!  Tongue

@Dimensional:
I didn't want to be bad.. sorry for that. Still, the manual does provide a lot of information.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMXP with EII cable question

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines