E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Ell 3.5 Floppy drive kit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:20:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Ell 3.5 Floppy drive kit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ell 3.5 Floppy drive kit  (Read 5443 times)
Dimensional Space
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:59:46 PM by Dimensional Space » Logged
rtech

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »

It could take longer for you to get help/a reply on this forum!!!

I havent done this to my EII, but I remember reading something on the EII yahoo user group. You should try going there.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/emulatorII-list/

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:04:20 AM by rtech » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »

on this forum!!!

Maybe we should start a new forum, where all the REAL E-mu Heads hang out.
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:35:30 PM »

The most important thing to know is the jumper settings on the drive.
Once Route66 started selling the drives, this information was deleted from the public websites (like EmulatorArchive).
So... once someone would take some time to look at his/her 3.5 drive in their EII, the whole EII community would finally know what drive to use and how to set the jumpers.

I think it's also time to stop complaining about the presumed lack of support on this forum...
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »

Hey Peter

Thanks for these documents; that's a good start :-)
Would you mind to open your Emulator II and do a visual check on all jumpers and the type of Teac drive that has been installed in your Emulator II ?
Because that would be really great !

By the way... opening an EII is a bit more complicated than opening your EI  Wink All "outer" screws on the bottom side of the EII must be removed first, and then the 4 screws at the backside. Then you can lift up the "hood" of the Emulator II but be careful not to damage the keys (you'll have to move the "hood" a bit to the front before further lifting up) and be aware that there are also ribbon cables connected between the chassis boards and the panel boards in the hood so you'll have to put the "hood" behind the chassis of the EII.

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »

I confess here openly that I would probably not recognize a jumper when it stared me in the face
Then don't open the EII if you're alone... the jumper may attack you  Grin  Grin
No problem... we have lots of time... your tech will certainly be able to write down all jumper settings (or take pictures of the drive from all sides).

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »

Is this the kit?

Teac CS-235R
Well it looks identical to the one in Peter's JPEGs, and it has the same type name.
Interesting stuff... I didn't know these things are still for sale.
Maybe it can also be used for putting the HxC SD emulator into the Emulator II.
It's not really cheap though...
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »

Maybe it can also be used for putting the HxC SD emulator into the Emulator II.
It's not really cheap though...

Let me jump in here..
E-Synthesist - why do you see such a problem building a 3.5 device into the EII? I mean, I have neither done that yet, but there are loads of 3.5 devices mounted in 5.1/4  slots nowadays in 'modern' computers... why not use one of those things? I'm sure that these somehow will fit into the EIIs drive mount.
Or am I too optimistic?!

Greetz,
Elm.
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »

there are loads of 3.5 devices mounted in 5.1/4  slots nowadays in 'modern' computers... why not use one of those things?
I wouldn't call those computers 'modern' anymore  Smiley
To be honest I never searched for such a kit myself yet, so it's possible that they are available almost everywhere and even at a very low price; in that case your optimism is OK  Cheesy
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »

Quote from: esynthesist
I wouldn't call those computers 'modern' anymore  Smiley

Well, yea I guess you're right..  Smiley
In our office, we still got kind of many of those standing around...
I took a look just today:
it really seems to be NOT that easy - most 3.5 devices have a plastic 5.1/4 blend BUT are mounted on their own 3.5 metal thing behind...  Undecided
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »

They use another brand (he wouldn't tell me). So tracking down a Teac FD-235HF and trying some voodoo magic work on the pins won't help.
Originally they were doing the mod with a Teac drive, but these are hard to get now so maybe they found another drive to modify...
If I would have more time I would try to find out things myself, because we have the full specs of the disk drive of the Emulator II now, including RPM, data transfer rate, pin signals, etc. So it can't be that difficult - the 3.5 drive just needs sufficient jumpers or documented schematics to modify it according to these EII specs.

Anyway it will be easier to wait for the information from your friend and from Peter's tech.
If that's not going to be useful, I will have a look to some 3.5 drives and do some experiments.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Ell 3.5 Floppy drive kit

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines