E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:41:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?  (Read 13753 times)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:19 AM »

The guys at Forat seem to have a new kind of display backlight...
have you seen this?:

http://www.forat.com/service/##SP1200

I don't really get it though...
Escobar

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:20:22 AM »

What is it you don't understand?
It's just a mordern LCD display with integraded backlight of LED (Light Emitting Diod).
The backlight is integrated with LCD display so to speak. It's not separated (well sort of) from the crystal display. Your can get one for about $12 from a electronic shop.
If you want to do the mod for your EII you need to do some changes to the voltage though since the new display require 5Vdc (straight) and the original LCD needs 100VAC @ 400Mhz from 5Vdc.
The price for the display -$175-  is not to consider overpriced since that's about what the electronics cost.
What is expensive is the voltage converter you need for the new display to work with your EII.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:12:58 AM »

Sorry, there will be no mod to do for a 5V display, since you can pick the 5V at the converter input.
I used rather to take the same kind of display, take off the backlight wich is a separated device on its own, and put it on the old one.
This because its really a pain to unsolder that multiple data bus flat cable.
Escobar

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »

Quote from: dr.c
Sorry, there will be no mod to do for a 5V display, since you can pick the 5V at the converter input.

Well my EII display are broken (and not just the backlight) so I need to change the whole. I bought a new one with blue background and white text but I discovered that it didn't work. It 'flashed' very faded a short time and then 'died'. I discovered that the new display need both +5 and -5 voltage and the voltage regulator on EII don't deliver that kind of 5 voltage since it's connected to ground and oscillate. To solve that problem I think I need a voltage regulator that can change it to both + and - output and it cost about $40 - $50.

You're right dr.c: the flat data cable is a real pain to unsolder, I had to completely trash it! The plastic cover melted as soon as I startet to unsolder.

rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »

The guys at Forat seem to have a new kind of display backlight...
have you seen this?:

http://www.forat.com/service/##SP1200

I don't really get it though...

i have that display that forat is mentioning and forat did the work on my sp 12.

the display is a bit smaller then the typical sp 12 display.  But it looks pretty cool and is very bright.

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »

My goodness.... what are you f... doing ?

Instead of buying a 60$ +5V to -5V converter, you can buy a 7905 reagulator wich changes voltages untill -35V to -5V, and it costs around 1 $

Get the documentation :

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/L/M/7/9/LM7905CT.shtml
Escobar

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »

My goodness.... what are you f... doing ?

Calm down dr.c your vein on your temple is about to burst! (just kidding)  Wink Grin

I haven't bought anything yet I'm looking around for a solution, so thanks for your advice/link.
Appreciated!

The problem is that I need to change +5V AND ground (GND) to +5V and -5V; not changing from +5 to -5.

Addendum: Sorry, got it. Forget the last sentence.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:40:05 PM by Escobar » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »

Sorry, I didn't want to be rough!!! Its just that I don't want you to destroy this machine.

Really, the best is to change to the SAME display, really, believe me, ok ?
Escobar

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »

It's okay dr.c, I like the way you express your self!  Cheesy
Belive me I don't want to destroy my EII, I like it so much.
If I had to chose between my instruments it would be the EII that stays (hopefully that will never happen).

Really, the best is to change to the SAME display, really, believe me, ok ?

I belive you.  Wink

HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:43 AM »

I've been tinkering with my newly aquired EII+ over the last few days and as well as fitting a 3.5" drive in the lower bay I've just successfully fitted an yellow LED backlit LCD module in place of the original display.   The results are wonderful - much better contrast ratio than the original - if you want to see my notes and a few piccies then follow the link:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48114&p=514848

The disk drive was an old DSDD TEAC unit I found in the loft.  With the aid of an old drive, a drive bay convertor, a power adaptor lead and a 34 way IDC crimp header you can do this yourself for very little money.  You can use the original drive as a spare for the top drive.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:20:53 AM by HideawayStudio » Logged

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
Escobar

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »

That's awesome Hideaway!

Sadly my new LCD are of a different kind (not that much though), well the connections are a bit different compared to yours.
Here's what it looks like:

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »

That's awesome Hideaway!

Sadly my new LCD are of a different kind (not that much though), well the connections are a bit different compared to yours.
Here's what it looks like:

WOW - sooo cool!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

Listen, guys, what does all this mean ? I am a stranger, so its difficult for me by times.

Do you mean you have put a different display ?
Escobar

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »

Quote from: Dr.c
Do you mean you have put a different display ?

Yes.
Not ONLY the backlit EL-type, but the whole display unit.
I need to checkout the technical spec's for my display to find out how and what are required to make it work.

micromoog

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »

I've been tinkering with my newly aquired EII+ over the last few days and as well as fitting a 3.5" drive in the lower bay I've just successfully fitted an yellow LED backlit LCD module in place of the original display.   The results are wonderful - much better contrast ratio than the original - if you want to see my notes and a few piccies then follow the link:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48114&p=514848

The disk drive was an old DSDD TEAC unit I found in the loft.  With the aid of an old drive, a drive bay convertor, a power adaptor lead and a 34 way IDC crimp header you can do this yourself for very little money.  You can use the original drive as a spare for the top drive.

Yes, it's very charmy - good job!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - ""New backlight - now with LED so it won't get dim"" ?!?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines